The Zaporizhzhya Nuclear Power Plant (ZNPP) remains reliant on its last off-site power line, as the IAEA continues negotiations with both Ukraine and the Russian Federation to secure a temporary localized ceasefire for repairs, IAEA Director General Grossi said today.

Since the 750 kV Dniprovska main line lost connection on 24 March, the ZNPP has relied on the 330 kV Ferosplavna-1 backup line for off-site power. During this period, the site experienced three separate instances of loss of off-site power.

Military activities

IAEA teams based at Ukraine’s nuclear facilities continue to report high levels of military activity in the vicinity of nuclear power plants (NPPs) and the neighbouring towns where staff live.

On Sunday, the IAEA team at the ZNPP was notified by the plant management of an alleged drone strike targeting a garage of its transportation department, located approximately four kilometres from the main site. During a visit to the transport workshop on Monday, the team observed a substantial hole in the concrete roof of the garage, alongside a sizeable crater on the floor, indicative of significant impact. The ZNPP reported that four buses – used to transport ZNPP personnel to and from the plant – had been damaged by the incident. The plant later informed the team that, after its visit, another garage of the transport department was allegedly subject to another drone attack.

“Attacks on nuclear power plant personnel, wherever they occur, create unacceptable psychological pressure, with potentially serious consequences for nuclear safety and security,” said Director General Grossi. “Such actions must never be permitted. I once again urge for maximum military restraint in the vicinity of nuclear facilities, wherever they are located.”

The IAEA team located at the ZNPP learned this week about reports of multiple drone attacks, including one reportedly with up to 40 drones, near the site and in the neighbouring city of Enerhodar, where most plant staff live. The IAEA team was also informed that, on Saturday, a drone carrying explosive material allegedly crashed near the Unit 1 turbine hall but did not detonate, resulting in no casualties or damage. It was not possible for the IAEA team to confirm this report, as the ZNPP notified the team two days later, at which point the plant said that all debris had already been removed. 

The plant also notified the IAEA on Thursday of a communication failure at one of its off-site radiation monitoring stations, but said the cause of this issue has not yet been determined. Multiple on- and off-site radiation monitoring stations continue to provide radiation monitoring data reported to the IAEA on a daily basis.

Elsewhere in Ukraine, after intensified military activity near Ukraine’s three operational NPPs and the Chornobyl site last week, IAEA teams continued to report frequent air raid alarms and drone presence surrounding these sites. Drones were reported at the South Ukraine NPP on Saturday, and at the Chornobyl NPP late Sunday and early Monday. Also on Monday, the Khmelnitskyy NPP team sheltered on-site during an air raid alarm.

The presence of drones and explosives at a nuclear power plant is unacceptable, as it dramatically increases the already significant risks to nuclear safety,” Director General Grossi said. 

Assistance programme

Separately this week, one mobile radiation monitoring laboratory was delivered under the IAEA’s assistance programme to the State Enterprise USIE Izotop, which is responsible for the management of radioactive material intended for medical, industrial and other purposes. The delivery was made possible with funds from the United Kingdom.

: International Atomic Energy Agency

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *